Public Service Announcement:
Helping Your Child With Dyslexia
• Language-based learning disability
• Issues with phonological processing
• Unknown cause
• Affects all backgrounds and intellectual levels
• Students often have problems reading and writing.
• They can become frustrated and unmotivated.
• They are at high risk for dropping out.
Early assessment is essential to support these learners.
Impacts of Dyslexia
All struggling learners can benefit from interventions. The student's team
should conduct a variety of informal and formal assessments to identify
individual learning needs. Interventions could include:
• Small group instruction
• Technology integration
• Teachers must receive training on differentiated reading strategies
and use UDL.
• Schools must focus on early identification and intervention.
• Parents/caregivers can help by encouraging regular reading practice.
This PSA was brought to you by Helen Brandon,
a middle school special education teacher.
Thank you for watching!