It’s Tuesday the 30th of August, and the Consumer Goods Hackathon 48-hour challenge is set to commence. Teams will be competing against each other in one of three categories to provide innovative solutions for consumers, organizations and the industry as a whole.
- Know what you want to say
- Have a good idea of what you want to show
- Add a personal touch
- Keep your animations simple
- Moovly is here to help. Resources to get started!
We have done our fair share of presenting in front of professionals and understand the pressure that comes with it. Which is why we have put together a list of essential tips to help the competing teams with their pitches at this year’s event.
1) Know what you want to say
All eyes at the event will be on you. You and your team need to make sure that you seize your moment and come across in the right manner. The big question is how. How do you present in a charismatic, confident and engaging way?
Planning! Know what you want to say before you step up to pitch your innovative ideas. Even if you think you have everything in place and have enough knowledge in your field, having a prepared script can go a long way. Try not to have more than 120 words. Otherwise, your pitch can come across as dragging or over elaborate.
Here's a quick guide for you to create the perfect video pitch.
- Research: Know who you are pitching to.
- Rapport: Try to establish a relationship or common ground before you actually pitch.
- Review: Understand the key elements of good pitches i.e. empathy, opportunity, goal and desire.
- Write: Script your pitch. Remember no more than 120 words.
- Rehearse: Practice, then practice some more.
2) Have a good idea of what you want to show
Standing in front of a crowd of industry professionals can be a daunting experience. Even the best speakers can sometimes stumble and forget their words or what comes next in your video presentation.
Here’s one way you can overcome your nerves and ensure you are prepared for anything. Print off a couple of your slides or have it visible on a tablet that guides you through your pitch. Write your scripted lines below each slide to guide you through your presentation.
Here’s a created Moov, explaining how the Water Cycle works.
If you were to print this video presentation, you could divide it into four main areas:
3) Add a personal touch
The 2016 CG hackathon judges are likely to hear hundreds of innovative pitches at the event. You need to stand out from the crowd, and the best way to do so is by adding a personal touch! By personal touch, we don't necessarily mean putting on a show. But be aware that persuasion always requires emotion. The goal is to be yourself and share your innovate story in a friendly manner rather than a static approach.
Here’s a little checklist on how you can add a personal touch to your pitch:
- Introduce your team by name
- Upload team images to your video presentation
- Use real life footage that humanizes your solutions
- Show any sketches or notes in your presentation to guide your audience through your process
4) Keep your animations simple
One of the biggest mistakes animators make is over animating certain scenes. Animation means bringing something to life. The more you move assets around, the less animated your presentation could end up looking.
You're better off creating one well-timed scene that acts as the base of your presentation. Expand your presentation by simply copying and pasting the scenes. This will not only save you a substantial amount of time in the long run, but it will create a consistent and professional look for your video presentation.
Why not create your animated video with Moovly? Moovly has a range of pre-made animated assets to help you create your CG hackathon video presentation.
5) Moovly is here to help. Resources to get started!
- Moovly staff members will be present and ready to help at 2016 CG hackathon event. Come and say hi and we'll help you out in any way that we can. We are happy to give you advice on your projects and help guide you on how to create the perfect video presentation.
- The 2015 Moovly user guide is easy to understand and straight to the point. It answers all key questions how to create and animate your presentation or video.
- Alternatively, you can visit the Moovly FAQ page which will help answer some of your queries.
- Here’s a video playlist of how-to videos to help get you started on Moovly!
Now that you have all the appropriate tips, it's time to get started on creating your video presentation and practicing your pitch. Sign up today for your free Moovly account and get started on creating your presentation that will captivate the consumer goods industry!